January 30, 2009

Ice Storm 09

Well, the past week has been quite an adventure. The ice storm that ripped through NWArkansas has been a wild ride that we will not soon forget. The storm has unfortunately left a mark on our town that will not soon be hidden either. The damage caused by the accumulation of ice is a small glimpse at the power of God! Here is a run down of our power situation:

Tuesday - power comes and goes two times during the day, we are without power for a total of 4 hours before it comes back on at 5:30.

After dinner and a movie (and getting to see a transformer explode), the power went off at 11:30 as Louise and I were falling asleep. We drug the mattress to the living room in front of the fire and slept comfortably there all night.

Wednesday - The severity and damage of this storm became apparent. My sense of excitement seemed to be replaced by the weight of our situation and what others were dealing with. I became very thankful for the things God has provided Louise and I (a gas fireplace and therefore a warm home, Praise God!). Power came back on in the early afternoon.

Thursday - we thought we were in the clear, until I put lunch on the stove at noon and the power promptly went out (great timing). Three hours later we were back up, this time for good!

Friday - as of this morning, 20,000 people in Fayetteville alone still don't have power. This storm is officially the worst ice storm every recorded in NWArkansas.

I found this Psalm (77)this morning as I look to the scriptures on the Power of God.

13 Your ways, O God, are holy.
What god is so great as our God?

14 You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.

15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.


God's power was certainly on display this week. I also found this verse in Job 27 that caught my eye.

10 Will he find delight in the Almighty?
Will he call upon God at all times?

11 "I will teach you about the power of God;
the ways of the Almighty I will not conceal.


I will strive to be a man that God can answer those two questions in verse 10 with a "yes", and a man that never conceals the ways of the Almighty.

Hopefully the Power is back on for me in more ways than one, after a potent reminder of the power and sovereign nature of our Lord this week.

No comments: