December 15, 2008

My spot on the path - Graduate School

Three years ago, I would have told you that I was going to work at the Cashion Company for the rest of my life. I would have told you that Louise and I would always live in Little Rock. I had a plan on a steady, safe path and it included family, money, and security. But it lacked one thing. I had never sought out God's purpose for me, or looked at how and why he designed me like he did.

God took me out of The Cashion Company so He could show me where He wanted me to go, where He had built me to go. God knew that He had to take me from there and the distractions that were consuming me. Let me be clear, this was a me problem. I wasn't seeking God, I was allowing myself to be focused on the wrong things. Mostly, it was a money thing. I could not stop thinking about the money I knew I would be leaving on the table if I left The Cashion Company. God finally granted me the strength to make a leap of faith that I knew I had to take. I knew I would never be fulfilled at The Cashion Company b/c that is not what God designed me to do. So I ended up through a crazy coarse of events at The Harvest Group. God opened this door and closed others. It was only here that I was able to "shift focus and feed on truth". My focus shifted to God and I fed on His Truth. I realized that what really motivated me, what really gave me passion was relationships and growth. The Harvest Group provided a place where I could grow personally in my walk and professionally. My time here has been a major blessing to me.

So there I was, sitting on these two thoughts: relationships and growth. The Holy Spirit kept bringing me to one thought; counseling. I am a passionate, emotional, truth seeking person. I have always cared more about people than anything else: work, sports, knowledge, etc. People are my passion! So that is where I am on the path. Today I am 28 days away from my first day of class in graduate school. I couldn't be more excited and ready to get going.

God continues to reveal over and over to me again that this is the spot on the path He wants me to be at. I have been less than impressed with myself b/c God has to continue to motivate me daily towards this career change. The following isn't an easy thought: I am 25 and have a wife and mortgage, and I am about to be full time student/part time employee and be in school (expensive tuition!) for three years! But I know God will provide. He always has and He always will, as long as we seek Him.
Galatians 2:20,"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me"


Three years ago, I was focused on what I thought I wanted/needed. Today, I realize that my life is for God's use and His purposes. And only if I seek and discover His use and purposes for me will I ever find true joy and peace in life.

No comments: