December 11, 2008

My spot on the path - Walk with the Lord

The natural place to begin seems to me to be describing where I am in life. I suppose at some point I will dive into where I have come from and more about where I am going as well. But for now, here is where I am.

There are three areas in my life that seem to dominated my thoughts, time, and attention. First, my walk with the Lord. Second, my relationship with my wife. Third, my journey towards starting grad school in January. This post will be about the first.

The Lord has taught me so much about who He is and who I am in the last year. Below is a life mission statement that I developed over the past summer. This really captures where I am and where I am going as it relates specifically to my relationship with Jesus. I hope it makes sense!


"Being saved by grace and faith alone, I will seek an intimate walk with Christ, rooted in Him and His Word, to best present myself as a vehicle for God's purposes and plans.

This includes striving to be the following:

A man who clings to Christ and resists the desires of this world
A man committed to his wife and family
A man intentional with evangelism and discipleship
A man actively involved in world missions
A man who is a healthy steward of what God gives "


The verse I am focusing on right now is so relevant to my place in life.
2nd Timothy 2:15 says, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the Word of Truth."

Another translation I like says to "be diligent to present yourself approved to God." Diligence is what I need right now as I learn more about being a better follower of Christ, a better husband, and as I begin to learn about being a counselor. Diligence in following God. Diligence in putting other's needs before mine, especially my wife. Diligence in being the man I was intended to be, not what others want me to be or thought I would be.

Lord, may I be diligent in my efforts to be a workman for you, one who protects and spreads the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

sista court said...

you have wowed me once again and I am sure will bring your mother to tears. YOu inspire me in my life and my walk. Keep on preachin' brotha'.